Want to be a reporter or would you like to buy a report for the best price?
Just Sign Up here!
Privacy guidelines License our content Help
A report by the EU Intelligence Analysis Centre (EU INTCEN) viewed by the Ahval news website suggests that the Oct. 10, 2015 suicide bombing of a peace march outside the Ankara railway station may have been committed on the orders of Turkey’s ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP), reported Turkish Minute (Turkey).
The incident, in which two members of the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) blew themselves up in the middle of a crowd largely comprising leftists and Kurdish sympathizers was the deadliest terrorist attack in modern Turkish history, killing 109 civilians and injuring 500 more.
It followed ISIL bombings at a pro-Kurdish political party rally in Diyarbakır on July 5 in which five were killed and over 100 injured, and on a group of leftists in the Turkish town of Suruç who were planning a solidarity trip to the Kurdish Syrian town of Kobani on July 20, in which 33 were killed and 104 injured.
The three-page-long report was apparently circulated as an urgent, top classified briefing note, dated Oct. 13, 2015 — only three days after the attack.
“The modus operandi of the attack (suicide bombers) points to Da’esh,” the report notes, and offers a conclusion:
“Given the circumstances (arriving buses with demonstrators not searched, police almost absent at the huge demonstration), there is reason to believe that in this case, forces within the AKP commissioned the Da’esh operatives.”
The report also described the political situation in which a Kurdish political party, the Peoples’ Democratic Party, was desperately seeking to calm renewed violence in Turkey’s Southeast in order to retain its seats in parliament in the upcoming Nov. 1 elections by surpassing Turkey’s 10 percent electoral threshold.
On the other hand, the AKP had been deprived of its majority in elections on June 7, and “the last thing Erdoğan really wants at this juncture is a Kurdish peace,” the report said.
At a November 2017 hearing in the trial of suspects involved in the attack, the court heard that police had stopped monitoring ISIL bomber Yunus Emre Alagöz 11 days before his brother, Yusuf Alagöz, carried out the Suruç bombing and three months before he would be one of the two bombers involved in the Ankara train station attack.
A lawyer for the prosecution, Doğukan Tonguç Cankurt, said police had cancelled their wiretaps of Alagöz on the basis of having collected sufficient evidence on him.
“If this wiretapping had continued, maybe neither the Suruç nor the train station massacres would have taken place,” Cankurt said.
He said public officials had known what ISIL was doing and that they had buried their heads in the sand.
The fact that it took medical teams 44 minutes to reach the scene of the blasts was clear negligence, another lawyer, Ziynet Çelik, said.
There were three ambulances within a short distance of the train station, but according to their GPS records one of them left the scene without taking any wounded demonstrators following the blast, and only 16 injured out of over 500 were taken to the hospital within the first half hour, she said.
In contrast, riot police arrived on the scene with water cannons within 14 minutes, she said, and at a similar size but government-endorsed open-air meeting the year before there had been 141 paramedics, 24 ambulances and a crisis center, Çelik said.
One of the suspects in the trial, Suphi Alpfidan, claimed that several Gaziantep police officers had known about the bombings and had personally known the ringleaders among the Gaziantep ISIL cell that carried them out.
Policemen Tahir Sarıışık of the intelligence unit and Bestami Duman of the counterterrorism division, who had been named by Alpfidan, testified that they neither knew nor had spoken to any of the suspects in the case.
The trial is set to continue on June 12 -13.
At a recent press conference, members of the October 10 Lawyers Committee, comprising defense attorneys for the victims, claimed that the case was being deliberately dragged out “to rot” and that the security staff responsible for surveillance of the suspects from ISIL were not put on trial in an attempt at a cover up. They accuse the police in the city of Gaziantep of not arresting the suspects despite the wiretapping and “allowing them” to carry out the massacre.
GazeteDuvar website reported on June 9 that despite the fact that Yunus Durmaz, the prime suspect in the planning of the Ankara attack, was on the watch list of the police in Gaziantep, including having an arrest warrant out for him, the police did not arrest him.
Durmaz is known as the emir of ISIL in Gaziantep and is also accused of planning both the Suruç and the Ankara bombings. According to the same report on Duvar, an arrest warrant was issued by an Istanbul court for Durmaz in November 2013, but the Gaziantep police failed to arrest him.
Durmaz reportedly blew himself up during a police raid on his house in Gaziantep on May 19, 2016.
show source https://www.turkishminute.com/2018/06/11/report-akp-may-have-ordered-2015-isil-attack-on-ankara-train-station/