Categories Search

Libyan Soldiers Sent Home After UK Sex Attacks

Video Preview

Libyan soldiers training in the UK are being sent home early following a series of sexual assault allegations, reported Sky News.

More than 300 members of the country's armed forces have been based at Cambridgeshire's Bassingbourn Barracks as part of the UK's pledge to support the Libyan government.

Some had been due to return at the end of November but their stay is being cut short after five soldiers were accused of sex attacks.

Two have admitted sexually assaulting women in Cambridge, while the latest charges relate to the rape of a man in the city on Sunday.

The Ministry of Defence (MoD) said: "The majority of recruits have responded positively to the training despite the ongoing political uncertainty in Libya but there have been disciplinary issues.

"Training was initially expected to last until the end of November but we have agreed with the Libyan government that it is best for all involved to bring forward the training completion date.

"The recruits will be returning to Libya in the coming days.

"The UK remains committed to supporting the Libyan government as it works to establish stability and security across the country."

Sky News understands a small number of the soldiers, no more than three, left the base unannounced and are claiming asylum to remain in the UK.

The MoD said it would review whether further Libyan recruits would be trained in the UK.

Read more at skynews.com.

Rating: (0)
Location: Show map
Location: Show map
Share report:
Share on Facebook
If you want to buy or a sell a report
go to marketplace
Marketplace

Comment report: