Categories Search

Stabbing in Jerusalem

Video Preview

An assailant stabbed two young men and a police officer in Jerusalem’s Old City Saturday afternoon, wounding them, before being shot and killed by security forces, police said, reported The Times of Israel.

Police spokeswoman Luba Samri said the teenage terrorist stabbed two Jewish youths before fleeing, with police forces giving chase. He then stabbed one of the policemen before he was shot.
The victims — two civilians aged 18 and 20, and a border policeman in his early 20s — received treatment at the scene and were taken to hospital. They were said to suffer light-to-moderate wounds.

The attack took place on Haggai Street in the Muslim Quarter. This was the second stabbing attack in the Old City this week.
The assailant was identified by Palestinian media as 17-year-old Ahmad Jazal from the West Bank village of Sebastia, near Nablus.

Shortly before carrying out the attack Jazal photographed himself smiling outside the Temple Mount’s Dome of the Rock. The photos were shared by Palestinians on social media, with some praising the “martyr” for his actions.

Soon after the attack clashes broke out between stone-throwing Palestinians and police officers who used stun grenades, an AFP photographer said.

On Wednesday Border Police shot and killed a woman as she attempted to stab them with scissors outside Damascus Gate. The Palestinian Health Ministry later identified the assailant as Siham Rateb Nimir, 49, from East Jerusalem.
According to Palestinian media, her son was Mustafa Nimir, who was shot dead by Border Police officers in September after an apparent misunderstanding at an East Jerusalem checkpoint.

Border guards closed off some the entrances and exits to the Old City following the incident and cleared the areas surrounding them, pushing back bystanders.


Israeli border guards on Saturday shot dead a Palestinian teenager in Jerusalem's Old City after he reportedly stabbed and lightly wounded three Israelis, police said, reported The New Arab (UK).

According to spokesperson Luba Samri, the 17-year-old attacked two Jewish passers-by before fleeing and later wounding a border guard before he was shot dead.
The Palestinian health ministry identified the teenager as Ahmad Zahir Fathi Ghazal from Nablus in the northern occupied West Bank.

An eyewitness told Palestinian Ma'an News that he saw Ghazal stab "two settlers" on al-Wad street in the Old City and escape into a nearby building, before Israeli forces ambushed him in a small apartment, which had no alternate exit.

"Then we heard sounds of intensive shooting coming from the building," he said.
"They could have detained him - he was surrounded by a large number of soldiers. But they executed him."

Clashes broke out afterwards between stone-throwing Palestinians and police officers who used stun grenades, an AFP photographer said.

It was the second such attack in days near Damascus Gate, a main entrance to the Old City.
On Wednesday, a Palestinian woman said to be the mother of a man killed last year tried to stab Israeli police with scissors before being shot dead.

A wave of violence that broke out in October 2015 has claimed the lives of 259 Palestinians, 40 Israelis, two Americans, one Jordanian, an Eritrean and a Sudanese national.
Human rights groups have accused Israeli security forces of using excessive force to subdue attackers in certain cases, most of which have been carried out by lone-wolf assailants, many of them young.

Reviews by the army of two fatal shootings of attackers in October found that the use of deadly force could have been avoided.
Palestinians say the rise in knife attacks on Israeli soldiers is rooted in frustration stemming from nearly five decades of Israeli military occupation Jerusalem and the West Bank.

show source

Rating: (0)
Location: Show map
Location: Show map
Tags: israel, jerusalem
Share report:
Share on Facebook
If you want to buy or a sell a report
go to marketplace

Comment report: